Thursday, March 8, 2007

I'm Too Old For This

So this isn't really the Paperpusher. It is her devastatingly attractive husband. I admit it, I never signed up for the blog, but I wanted to write something anyway. Oh did I mention that the Paperpusher is making me a fabulous dinner at this moment and I have to give her the utmost praise for that.

So here's the point. As you very well know I am a fan of extreme music. Crazy stuff, Mayhem, Darkthrone, Bathory, Immortal and the list goes on. I have a friend that is also a big fan, so much so he has a website at http://nocturnaleuphony.com/index.php. He lives in Norfolk and invited me down to see the big Cradle of Filth show last Friday and I was pretty excited.

I took the day off work, drove down to Norfolk, borrowed his Emperor shirt (my job doesn't really allow me to wear openly satanic garb, so my closet is relatively void of these items) and we headed out to the show.

We thought we were getting there early, but arrived to a crowd that already extended down the street and was starting to wrap around the next corner. We dutifully took our place in line waiting to get inside and realized that we were standing in a line of rednecks and kids. This is when I realized that we were two balding, grown men standing in a line of people, most of which were dropped off by their parents.

This began a great moment of reflection that lasted the duration of the evening. When we entered the venue we made our way to the bar expecting a line, but were amazed to find the batenders standing there with nothing to do. Of course we ordered drinks and made our way around, looking for the best spot. It is at this point that I see a young gentleman with his hat proudly on sideways, the two large X's on his hands indicating his status as a minor, making out with two youg girls. I also notice that he has one hand down the back of one young ladies pants and his other hand nustled down the front of the others. Then the two girls started making out. I began to wonder at this point what it might be like to own a venue such as this and wondered if it was much of a profit center. I also wondered if the delapidated row houses we saw on the way in could be a good investment if you fixed them up a bit. I then began to wonder what kind of CGL policy the venue owner has and to what extent he is self insured. It is at this point that I realized that I have nothing in common with these people. I have been dealing with my great dissapointment for almost a week now and it isn't getting better.

Is it really true that I have gotten too old for these things? Does my life no longer intersect with the lives of todays youth? I think so.

No comments: