Tuesday, March 6, 2007

This Cold House, the Sequel: It Wasn't All My Fault

So the Handyman just left, having come to fix my various electrical maladies.

The Good News:

It wasn't ALL my fault.

The Bad News:

We still don't have a fully functioning furnace.

The Synopsis (short and sweet, since the only warm place right now is my bed):

The electrical sockets not working were caused by my inability to notice that one of the neutral wires in ONE socket was not connected properly. The red herring was that that socket worked fine. So I didn't think it was the problem. The handyman connected that wire, and all the sockets and lights magically worked.

One caveat: I did not properly connect the outlets that were controlled by the light switches. In my defense, this required a piece of knowledge that was not explained to me. Oh well.

However, the furnace issue is still unresolved. The handyman thinks that he knows what part is causing the problem, but doesn't know why that part is acting the way it is. Apparently there's a heat sensor in there that goes off when it gets too hot. The problem he can't figure out is, why is it getting so hot within five minutes, and why doesn't it kick back on when it cools down?

So, the furnace issue is not related to my messing with the sockets, and is therefore NOT MY FAULT! However, I did have a guy working on the furnace Monday morning. Coincidentally, it hasn't worked properly since. I'm going to call the company tomorrow morning, and I'm sure they'll send someone out, but I'm sure they'll deny all responsibility and make me pay. Oh well, just one more expense on top of a million others...

Off to my cozy bed!

No comments: