Monday, October 29, 2007

New Jersey and its oddities

So, the hubby and I were coming back from a weekend in Brooklyn when we got stuck in traffic on the NJ Turnpike. [Random observation: the word "turnpike" must translate into "we are going to charge you money for driving on our roads."] Anyway, at each rest station there was a long line for gas. On our last attempt, we realized the reason why things were moving so quickly at the pump--it was the attendants. Now, I know NJ has some odd road laws--such as those turn-abouts (really are left turns truly that bad?)--but I take issue with the attendant. Is there really a public policy concern over pumping gas? In my 14 years of refilling my own tank, I have never over-spilled or anything similar. So, why does NJ have this law again? Perhaps there is some other public policy concern that I do not know about but are NJ residents so incapable of pumping their own gas? And why aren't there more attendants at the rest stops on the Turnpike over the weekend, so that long lines don't ensue? Is the traffic not bad enough?

1 comment:

ryanem said...

Ah, Jersey ... I remember The Daily Show did a pretty funny "investigation" into this law a while back in which they interviewed a gas station lobbyist earnestly defending the law with ridiculous arguments. The piece can be found here:

http://salon.com/ent/video_dog/latenight/2006/06/06/dailyshowjersey/index.html