Monday, September 10, 2007

Is taking the bus really environmentally friendly?

I have been reading a lot of books of late on the environment and nutrition. It's all interrelated and I am embarking on a mission to try to reduce my carbon footprint in minor ways. Since I live within walking distance of things, I choose to walk places (and sweat a lot).

Because of this, I know the answer to the above is a yes. Reducing my carbon footprint, learning how to be independent of my car, blah, blah. It's all very good. I thought moving from far flung suburbs to a place with a metro on the next block would be an improvement in bus service. Definitely up from standing on River Road for hours at night, dodging cars and waiting for a bus that never comes. Was I wrong?

I went to visit my friend in Mt. Pleasant. Since it is just down 16th Street from my work, I decided to take the bus. There are no less than three buses that could take me there. Getting there was great - I only had to walk a few blocks and only got lost once and I didn't have to park. However, getting home was a ridiculous. I was waiting on 16th street for a bus to come, in the dark (no lights - totally safe, I'm sure). The sign, when I could make it out from passing headlights that did not belong to the bus, said that there was a bus coming at 9:45, 9:53, 10:00, 10:05, etc. There wasn't a real pattern, but I was like - no problem, I can wait for 10 minutes or so. On the other side of the street, no less than three buses stop. On my side, I am waiting in the dark and no buses are coming. I am getting annoyed - if the sign had said that there was half an hour between each bus, I would not be bothered. But no, it said that there would be ones coming presently. But the sign LIES.

I got to the stop at 9:44 - and no bus came until about 10:15. And the chord was pulled at EVERY STOP. Even places that were like completely deserted or only 10 feet away from the previous stop. I also had to listen to a girl, talking on her cell phone, about her friends upcoming wedding. This sounded like the most white trash affair - the girl looked about 12, she said "she has to get married on a weekend - she is going to have exams" and "I hope the baby doesn't come before the wedding" and "Rae Lynn can totally go to hell. Bobby Ray is coming to the wedding with me", etc., etc. Also, a very, very smelly man sat in front of me. And I didn't get home until about 11:00 pm. An hour and 15 minutes to get home - 5 miles, people.

So, FUCK THE BUS. I will give the bus another chance,and I'm sure WMATA is grateful to me (right, just like Comcast gives a shit that their cable never works - I am such a dreamer). But I guess I shouldn't complain for $1.25 (used a transfer on the way back - transfers are a crap shoot to me; I never know if they work, but I always try). Anyway, so I am rethinking being a mass transit babe. I mean, maybe it is better to drive and not want to beat people over the head? Possibly? Is it really better to take the bus?

1 comment:

Paperpusher said...

Ahh, DC buses. They are a special breed. Having been a bus rider on the 30-36 buses for about 2 years, I can say your experience is not usual. In fact, in the winter, you will find many smelly homeless people--even at 7am. And, yes, they are supposed to come every 10 mins, and you may be there for a 1/2 hour. DC does not have the most efficient buses. I can speak more highly of MD/Ride-On buses. I appreciate your endeavor to help the environment! The hubby and I have started to try to cut down our carbon foot-print. Kudos to you, especially for having endured the DC Bus system.