Sunday, September 2, 2007

This is your kvetch on drugs...any questions?

As I've posted, I'm being treated for Endometriosis. In our last post, our heroine had somehow fought off the wonder drug known as Depo-Provera, and had been prescribed Lybrel, a birth-control pill. What most of our readers didn't know is my prior history with the pill, in many formats.

The pill tends to make me a wee bit...well, insane. For some reason, when fake estrogen is assimilated into my body, I tend to over-produce the crazy horomones. Which is amusing for NO ONE ON THE FACE OF THE PLANET. My moods shift from cranky to murderous at the drop of a hat. There are no good emotions. Only anger. And glaring. For some reason, horomones cause to me glare balefully at everyone in my path.

However, being the good sport that I am, I agreed to try this new-fangled pill forumulation. Perhaps my age would allow a modicum of mood control. Perhaps my friend Xanax would assist me through this journey.

Alas, this is not to be. After a mere 7 days on the drug, I have become everything I hate about stereotypical PMS'ing women. Moody, hysterical, volatile, agressive, angry...the list goes on. I blame everyone but myself for my mood, though logically I know that it's me...or at least a drugged version of myself. I don't feel human. I don't feel in control of anything, least of all myself.

The answer, of course, is to take myself off of these drugs, but that's going against medical advice. So what's a girl to do? Is the treatment worse than the disease? I'm not sure, but I know I'm not going to live like this. Come Tuesday, I'm calling my doctor. Again. There has to be a better way.

No comments: