Monday, January 22, 2007

I am a day laborer

I may have made this point in previous blogs, but my work situation is much like that of an illegal immigrant day laborer.

Because I am wholly dependednt on other people to assign me work, and those people have, you know, jobs that keep them occupied, I often find myself - like today, for example - totally without anything to do. This sounds like fun, but when you're essentially chained to your desk, waiting for work, it's maddening (plus, we have websense at work, so most fun sites, like games, that I could use to pass the time, are blocked). And since I have already spent part of the day waiting for work doing nothing, company policy says that when I get work, I cannot do any overtime today. So, no extra money. The only thing worse than having too much to do is having nothing, but yet being unable to go home.

So, this is where I am. Running alongside the metaphorical truck, saying "any work for me, boss? Anything? I'm a really hard worker."

1 comment:

Paperpusher said...

I'm there with you! Thus why I am considering my own employ in a few years. I must say my boss have a very nice situation going for him...he comes in when he wants, leaves when he wants, and plays golf most of the spring and summer. I'm tired of being part of the machine or an ant in the farm.