Friday, August 24, 2007

Front for the Mob

At the crazy intersection of Wilson, Old Georgetown, Arlington, and Elm (I think), there has been a vacuum store for 15 plus years. Now, when we were in high school it had a shelf that moved and it looked like people actually went there to get their vacuums fixed (every now and then at least). Well, in the age of the relatively cheap vacuum, this store has been largely a display piece for odds and ends for the past 10 years, thus generating the rumor that the store was a front for the mob.

Well, I went to get my hair cut last night and I walked by. It is now empty! How very odd! I kind of miss the now non-moving shelf and the array of vacuums. One can only wonder what it will be used for next (especially, considering it is sitting on very valuable real estate). Sadly, I will never again be able to use it as a place of note in my direction-giving.

Is it 6pm, yet?

2 comments:

QueenDweeb said...

I noticed that last night! It's the end of an era I tell you. Remember when they had to make them turn the dancing shelf off because everyone was getting into fender-benders at that corner?

The Marshal said...

Has anybody heard of any mob hits lately? Maybe the owner got waxed...

A Bethesda landmark gone to history. Too sad...